Unless otherwise expressly stated or the context clearly indicates a different intention, the following terms shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings indicated in this section.
(a) Alcohol means the product of distillation of any fermented liquid, whether rectified or diluted, whatever the origin thereof, and includes synthetic ethyl alcohol but does not include denatured alcohol or wood alcohol.
(b) Alcoholic Liquor means alcohol, spirits, wine, beer and every liquid or solid, patented or not, containing alcohol, spirits, wine or beer and capable of being consumed as a beverage by a human being, but shall not include any cereal malt beverage.
(c) Cereal Malt Beverage means any fermented but undistilled liquor brewed or made from malt or from a mixture of malt or malt substitute, but does not include any such liquor which is more than 3.2 percent alcohol by weight.
(d) Class A Club means a premises which is owned or leased by a corporation, partnership, business trust or association and which is operated thereby as a bona fide nonprofit social, fraternal or war veterans’ club, as determined by the State of Kansas, for the exclusive use of the corporate stockholders, partners, trust beneficiaries or associates (hereinafter referred to as members), and their families and guests accompanying them.
(e) Class B Club means a premises operated for profit by a corporation, partnership or individual, to which members of such club may resort for the consumption of food or alcoholic beverages and for entertainment.
(f) Club means a Class A or Class B club.
(g) General Retailer means a person who has a license to sell cereal malt beverages at retail.
(h) Limited Retailer means a person who has a license to sell cereal malt beverages at retail only in original and unopened containers and not for consumption on the premises.
(i) Place of Business. Any place at which cereal malt beverages or alcoholic beverages or both are sold.
(j) Wholesaler or distributor. Any individuals, firms, copartnerships, corporations and associations which sell or offer for sale any beverage referred to in this chapter, to persons, copartnerships, corporations and associations authorized by this chapter to sell cereal malt beverages at retail.
(Code 1984, 3-101; Code 1991)
No person shall drink or consume any alcoholic liquor or cereal malt beverage on city owned property, except at special events authorized by the city council as set forth in Section 3-103.
(K.S.A. Supp. 41-719; Code 1991, Ord. 1018)
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, serve or dispense any cereal malt beverage or alcoholic beverage in any public place not licensed to sell, serve or dispense such beverages at such public place within or under the jurisdiction of the city.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to drink or consume any cereal malt beverage or alcoholic beverage in any public place not licensed to sell and serve such beverage for public consumption at such public place within or under the jurisdiction of the city.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term “public place” shall include upon any street, public thoroughfare, public parking lot or any privately owned parking made available to the public generally, with any parked or driven motor vehicle situated in any of the aforesaid places or upon any property owned by the state or governmental subdivision thereof unless such property is leased to others under K.S.A. 12-1740 et seq., if the property is being used for hotel or motel purposes or purposes incidental thereto or is owned or operated by an airport authority created pursuant to Chapter 27 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated.
(d) Exceptions to Section 3-102 and 3-103. These subsections shall not apply when an organization, person or entity, petitions the City Council to have a cereal malt beverage area which is cordoned off from the general public at an authorized special event or festival. The city council shall have the authority to grant a special exception to the provisions of these sections for the special event. The council shall have the authority to require the person or group sponsoring the event to provide and meet strict conditions to prevent underage or excessive consumption of cereal malt beverages at such special event.
(K.S.A. 41-719; Code 1984, 3-108; Code 1991, Ord. 1018)
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to transport in any vehicle upon a highway or street any cereal malt beverage or alcoholic beverage unless such beverage is:
(1) In the original, unopened package or container, the seal of which has not been broken and from which the original cap or cork or other means of closure has not been removed;
(2) In the locked, rear trunk or rear compartment or any locked outside compartment which is not accessible to any person in the vehicle while it is in motion or;
(3) In the exclusive possession of a passenger in a vehicle which is a recreational vehicle as defined by K.S.A. 75-1212 or a bus as defined by K.S.A. 8- 1406, who is not in the driving compartment of such vehicle or who is in a portion of such vehicle from which the driver is not directly accessible.
(b) As used in this section highway and street have meanings provided by K.S.A. 8-1424 and K.S.A. 8-1473 and amendments thereto.
(K.S.A. 41-804, 41-2719; Code 1991)
It shall be unlawful for any person to consume any cereal malt beverage or alcoholic beverage while operating any vehicle upon any street or highway.
(K.S.A. 41-719, 41-2720; Code 1991)
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to:
(1) Display, cause or permit to be displayed, or have in possession, any fictitious, fraudulently altered, or fraudulently obtained identification card for purposes relating to the sale, purchase or consumption of either cereal malt beverage or alcoholic liquor.
(2) Display or represent any identification card not issued to such person as being his or her card for purposes relating to the sale, purchase or consumption of either cereal malt beverage or alcoholic liquor.
(3) Permit any unlawful use of an identification card issued to a person for purposes relating to the sale, purchase or consumption of either cereal malt beverage or alcoholic liquor.
(4) Photograph, photostat, duplicate or in any way reproduce any identification card or facsimile thereof in such a manner that it could be mistaken for a valid identification card or display or have in possession any such photograph, photostat, duplicate, reproduction or facsimile for purposes relating to the sale, purchase or consumption of either cereal malt beverage or alcoholic liquor.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to:
(1) Lend any identification card to or knowingly permit the use of any identification card by any person under 21 years of age for use in the sale, purchase or consumption of any alcoholic liquor.
(2) Lend any identification card to or knowingly permit the use of any identification card by any person under 21 years of age for use in the sale, purchase or consumption of any cereal malt beverage.